Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Andrew Keen

1. Keen believes that democratized media is destroying our culture. He says "democratization, despite its lofty idealization, is undermining truth, sourcing civic discourse, and belittling expertise, experience and talent." He thinks that an amateur should not be allowed to express their opinion like the "experts." He has issues with websites like www.wikipedia.com where anyone can write anything about a certain issue. He used Anna Nicole Smith's death as an example. People on wikipedia kept changing the cause of her death. He also has problems with www.youtube.com, where people made fun of Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" by replacing people with penguins. I think Keen is making a big deal out of nothing with the "An Inconvenient Truth" parody. Althought the video was made by a conservative political group, I don't think that satire is something that can destroy our culture.

2. Keen views technology and democratized media as a problem while Rushkoff views them as neither good or bad, just powerful. Keen doesn't think the average person should be allowed to write whatever the want and only "experts" should be allowed to express themselves. Rushkoff tries to see both the negative and positive effects of technology and democratized media. He says "I love the possibilities of a digital life; I love being able to experience the world through other people’s eyes; I love being able to broadcast a story from home, in my underpants; I love being able to imagine almost any possible future and to do so with other people, millions of them right alongside me." I think Rushkoff speaks to my own experiences more than Keen because Rushkoff understands that the internet is a great way to stay connected to other people and express ourselves, but he also realizes that the internet is not perfect. I think that you can't believe everything you read on the internet but I don't think everything we see online is a lie like Keen does.

No comments:

Post a Comment